REEF2REEF Coral Grow Out Challenge!
This contest will provide our members the opportunity to demonstrate their skills at selecting, caring for and growing their chosen variety of coral. Show off your experience in good husbandry, your savvy in selecting fast growing corals, and your skill for providing the optimal environment for coral growth! Do this and you could be a winner in one or all categories! And if you’re really the ultimate coral farmer you might just win the GRAND PRIZE! Huge thanks to the following sponsors for making this contest possible! Synergy Reef Systems, Orphek Lighting, SaltwaterAquarium.com, FX Charity Corals, LRS Reef Frenzy, Fl Frag Swap, and Reef2Reef!
This is a contest for fun but with real prizes! In order of fairness all contest rules must be followed and all requirements must be met!
Contest will start Oct. 13th 2014 and end on Feb. 15th 2014. There is no deadline on entries but the sooner you start the better.
1. There will be three categories and these types of corals are eligible:
SPS: Acropora (this entry must be a frag of the branching acropora variety and not over 2″ in size)
LPS: Acan Lordhowensis (this entry must be a frag of an Acan Lord only and not more than 5 polyps)
Zoas: Zoanthid or Palythoa (this frag entry must not be over 5 polyps)
2. Members can submit one coral per category. Three entries maximum, one per category.
3. Entries must be coral fragments better known as frags. Acros must not be over 2 inches and acans and zoas must not be over 5 polyps.
4. Contestants must be able to provide a side and top down photograph. Side shots will be required throughout the contest while top downs will only be needed at the start of the contest and for the final photograph. Photos must be clear and decent shots. Better photos do not increase your chances of winning but it will make it easier for us to judge.
5. Contestants must post photos of coral entries at the start and end of contest as well as at required times with a ruler clearly visible to show size/growth. Photos must also include proof of user and date marked on something placed beside the coral and within the photo. Proof must include your Reef2Reef username and date of photo. There will also be a unique code word that we will release on Oct. 15th that will have to be included in the photo. This is so no one starts earlier.
Photo increments are as follows:
1st Photo: October 13th or date of entry (can’t be earlier than the 13th)
2nd Photo: Oct. 13th – Oct. 19th
3rd Photo: Nov. 2nd – Nov. 9th
4th Photo: Nov. 23rd – Nov. 30th
5th Photo: Dec. 14th – Dec. 21st
6th Photo: Jan. 4th – Jan. 11th
7th Photo: Jan. 25th – Feb. 1st
Final Photo: Due by or on Feb. 15th (Final Photo)
**We will not ask for photos. If you don’t post them within the allotted time you will be disqualified for that category.
6.There are special forums set up for all entries for each category. You will have to post your grow out thread in the proper forum. For example if you enter all three categories you will need to create one thread per each coral in the proper forum. Not all in one thread. Here are the forums:http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/cora…llenge-forums/
**Please include some information about your tank including equipment and specs.
7. Corals will be judged by the R2R staff based on growth rate, health of coral, patterns of growth, etc. In other words we will choose the largest, most healthy coral as the winner.
8. Winners will be announced by Mar. 1st
R2R staff reserve the right to ask for modifications to entries or to disqualify members at their discretion based on the rules of the contest.
To start every winner will receive a Orphek Azurelite flashlight provided by Orphek.com!
SPS Category Winner sponsored by SaltwaterAquarium.com:
Aquaillumination Hydra 26 LED Lighting Fixture valued at over $400
LPS Category Winner sponsored by FX Charity Corals:
FX Charity Coral Frag Pack valued at $350 shipped!
Overall Grand Prize Winner sponsored by Orphek & Synergy Reef Systems: Orphek Alantik Compact LED Light and a Synergy Reef System Tank valued at over $1300!